influx

Friday, March 02, 2007

time to start this shit up again....

I'm not going to try to go through a play by play of the last few weeks. They've been busy and fun and stressful and relaxed and whatever. But now I'm sitting at home in Medfield, my dad and I just finished watching the illusionist which is an excellent movie, and I feel like posting. So there.

Happy B Day Karen!

I'm having a gender aware weekend. Meaning I've had several conversations with people where they've said things and then apologized for offending me by being sexist. Usually some comment on a girl's looks or a joke about something or other. None of their comments offended me because they came from people I knew who I know for a fact respect me and respect women. At least most of the time.

But then today, I was clicking around on Amazon looking for something else entirely and I ended up in this religious marriage help book section where everything had titles like "The Surrendered Wife" and "Liberated Through Submission" and goddamn did that push every single one of my feminist buttons. Even more so because they say enough true things to draw you in and then come to a conclusion that I disagree with entirely. Like for example....premise: constant power struggles erode marriages....conclusion: man = right, woman = silent. In my book, premise = true, conclusion = false. Friendships don't sustain themselves by having one person always in control. It's a constant balance which almost never makes a difference especially if both people are pretty laidback. Why should relationships be any different?

On the other hand, I think personally I've been being pretty bitchy lately to a lot of people. One of my personal goals is to stop being so negative all the time.

Anyway that's my rant for the day. In other news, I think its really funny that the Swiss just invaded someone by mistake. That totally ruins their perfect record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home