influx

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

bored at work

For the first time since I got here, I don't have anything to do. I'm starting a new project later this afternoon but the guy I'll be working with didn't have anything for me yet. And the last guy I worked with is in a meeting. I'm glad I'm getting passed off though. I like Morgan; he invited me to play soccer with his team.

It's hard to be back at work after a 4 day weekend, much as I appreciated the vacation. Yesterday, I went with Ben and his girlfriend to his roommate's sister's boyfriend's father's lakehouse where there was a pretty big party going on. A family party though, tons of a little kids. The house was really sweet though, right on the lake with a cool dock and the water was really warm. Unfortunately, I realized last minute that all my bathing suits were in MA, but I went in anyway. Ben didn't know many people there either so it was only moderatly awkward for me. I went tubing which was cool but really rough. The guy driving was trying to throw me and Alison (Ben's gf) off the tube and he succeeded pretty good. We went flying and bounced.

The firework show on that lake are put on by a guy from Microsoft who has a barge put out in the lake in front of his house. It was a pretty impressive display and his house was right next to the place where we were so we got a perfect view. Obviously nothing compares to Boston, but they were pretty solid.

Monday and yesterday I also hung out a bunch with Alex and Kylan, mostly playing with the chickens while Kylan was building a fence. Got into one of those deep conversations with Alex late monday night. he reminds me a lot of Mangan, really smart and interested in crazy things and really likes discussing. Also kind of into the drugs. I usually have limited amounts of patience for those "what is the meaning of life" type conversations but this was a pretty good one. Kylan showed me a rock wall behind the UW stadium, totally public. They've got amazing facilities; it really highlights all that columbia lacks.

For some reason I was thinking a lot about my friends and family and how being so close to them makes it easy for me to come out here. Cause I don't need to make friends here, just people to hang out with. So I've been trying hard to call people more than I do, especially my little brothers. I'm jealous that they both get to go to wildwood and play together. I really want to have an ashcroft team. But its cool that E invited Mikey cause they haven't always been the best of friends. It's also cool cause it means that mikey will probably end up playing ultimate in the end so then the three of us will always have something to do together. Cause I like my brothers. I also read a bunch of stuff lately on the deterieration of relationships with both friends and family and its kind of scary stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home