influx

Saturday, December 02, 2006

weekends

So apparently when I really don't want to do work, I go out two nights in a row with a third planned, sleep til noon and then waste the rest of the day. Go me. Both nights out were fun though which is a little unusual for me. Thursday, we went to lion's head after the co ed scrimmage which was really fun though I got there late cause I went to this event on microfinance.

As a side bar... microfinance is freakin awesome. It was this guy from Deutche bank explaining what he does and it sounds like all other kinds of banking except the results actually help people. I really liked how he was talking about how they charge the microfinance institutions in developing countries interest because a) it makes the handle the money more responsabily and b) Deautche bank gets the money they lend from coorperations who lend it to them because they're promised a certain return. So this guys basically acts as a liaison between the coorperate world and the philanthropic world and he speaks both languages. He goes to the coorperations and talks about sound investments and payment schedules and then he goes to the developing world and figures out what groups of small business owners or enterpeneurs are best suited to help their community. It sounds amazing.

Anyway after the scrimmage, people went to lion's head as usual but some how we lost the younger crowd. They might have gotten turned away while we were eating pizza. So it was just a few people, chilling and drinking good beer. I enjoyed.

Last night I went downtown after a lot of obsessing about what to wear. One of the companies that I got an offer from was having an party after their christmas party at some fancy lounge where you had to give the bouncer a password and then he showed you into the basement. It was cool. Tons of free alcohol and I got to meet a lot of potential future colleages.

Then I walked from 9th Ave to Ave B in the highest heels I own (ouch) to meet Elizabeth at one of her friend's b day parties. That was alright but the people weren't that interesting. One guy kept trying to talk to us about mechanical engineering except he didn't know anything. One guy started making sweeping statements about how "in the past hundred years, I feel like science and art and literature have all hit a paradox, like they've all become self referencing and now they can't go forward." Elizabeth is too much of a science person to even know how much of that statement is bullshit, so I was sitting there asking things like "what does that mean?" That's my least favorite part about liberal arts classes; the all encompassing statements that don't mean anything. Yeah, I kind of get what he was trying to say. I can think of a couple books and art forms that have started referring to themselves and are the worst for it but its not everything, its not necessarily a recent thing and how the hell is science self referencing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home