influx

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Weekend salvaged

Yeah last night sucked, but it got mostly redeemed when karen came over. After a bottle of wine, I was having a great time trying to figure out how many people from high school we actually cared about seeing. Going through the yearbook, we counted 35 out of 140.

Tonight almost was a reunion. My friends and I went out to a movie and then to a local bar and there were tons of medfield people there. But mostly it just reminded me of why I like Columbia. My close friends are great and these comments don't apply to them at all. BUT...(elitist alert)... I love how at Columbia I will never be the smartest, most talented, or most motivated person in a room. There were rooms in high school where I could be all three. At Columbia, I don't think about that at all; everyone is working hard and everyone is a huge nerd. But many medfield people seemed to have kept the anti-intellectual prejudice that I remember from high school. When a conversation goes something like this....

Them: So where are you living?
Me: I'm still in New York at school.
T: Oooo fancy, new york. What are you studying?
M: Mechanical engineering right now.
T: What a smarty! I mean I don't even know what that is! What is that? Do you know what that is? Man, I'm over at whereever state college and I don't even know if we have that.

Way to make me self conscious. I like having friends that I have no chance of impressing because they're equally impressive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home