influx

Saturday, December 09, 2006

I am a horrible person. No that's not true. I'm a pretty average person, but I do things that I know I shouldn't because I have a very loose sense of morals based on nothing besidse a gut feeling here and there. Most of the time I'm perfectly fine with liberal relativism ("if it feels good and it doesn't hurt anyone, go for it"), but sometimes I just want someone to tell me "this is not alright, this is wrong." But no one ever will, at least not the people I like. Only iconoclasts and religious people will give me that kind of answer. Everyone else will say something like "well that depends." Most of the time I agree with that; circumstances in my opinion have a huge influence on morality. Only violent crimes are universally condemned and even some of those not universally. Killing people is wrong unless you're in a war and then its alright. Ok, clearly I'm not that terrible a person and I'm being melodramatic. But it would be nice to have a solid code of ethics sometimes besides the one in my own little head. But since that's not going to happen (unless I join a cult) I'll just have to cultivate my conscience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home