influx

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

i am productive!

It's a good feeling. This week I have 7 assignments due, 3 major, 4 minor. I've finished 5 of them, 2 major and 3 minor and I should finish another by the end of the night. And I got free sushi and wine at ali's thesis presentation. Actually a bunch of the women's studies presentation were really interesting, especially the one on the relationship between Barnard and Columbia and the one on PMS as a cultural thing. I have pretty strong opinions on all things women, though most of it reduces down to "stop judging me" with an important corollary on humor as a weapon.

Actually that's a rant I've been meaning to go on.... why are people so hesistant to admit when they're offended? I'm offended by Barnard jokes because they perpetuate a sterotype of Barnard and by extension women as either stupid sluts or dykes or stupid slutty dykes. Sterotypes matter! When African American students are asked to identify their race before they take a test, they do measurably worse then when they just take the test. Then people think they're stupid. Group characterizations are not harmless! I don't have to prove I have a sense of humor or smile and nod at things that are intended to hurt! People are always saying "oh I just think its funny" or "come'on its only a joke." Well that's true and its not true. It might be just a joke if we didn't live in the society we live in. But we do.

...ok I'm done. Ask me about my seminar paper on prostitution and capitalism in Victorian England =)

Anyway its been a good day, and I'm going to go back to designing my latrine (which is amazing by the way).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home