influx

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

splitting time

I'm back in new york for the day and possibly tomorrow but then I'm heading back up to MA cause eric is going to be home. It's weird commuting between two cities. I've already done three back and forths in the last 2 weeks but they've all been for specific reasons and mostly quick. I'm not sure how many more I can do. It's a pretty expensive trip for one thing and I have no money. I'm glad I stuck around MA for easterns though. That was a lot of fun though we didn't win nearly as many as I would have liked. And I am sooooo out of shape. Tournaments usually don't feel that bad to me. Oh well, a couple weeks of running will clear that up.

More about Ireland....=)

Aron put up his pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajahmadia/tags/ireland/ but most of them are pretty bad. We took a lot of pictures of random landscapes and unimportant buildings and then forgot the camera at key times, like on our second hike. Most of the pictures of scary ridges and mist are from the first hike. Oh, the one of the giant cross is at th summit of the highest mountain in Ireland. Most of the really nice views are from our campsite and the pictures of us on horses are awesome.

Where was I? Wednesday? Wednesday was a travel day and therefore boring. We did our laundry and had a beer (one of many Guinesses). Thursday turned out to be another travel day. We were trying to see the Cliffs of Moher but it was so foggy that even standing at the top of them you couldn't tell if the drop was 1 m or 1000 m. We had worked really hard to fit them into our schedule too on the way up the coast to the second hike, and the weather was not cooperating. Oh well. We took a picture in front of the mural in the visiters center. That night we got into westport and the bus driver not only recommended a b&b, he dropped us off at it after everyone else had unloaded.

Friday: Our second and last hike up Croagh Patrick which is a historic pilgramige site. Pilgrims climb it barefooted on a certain day which has to be painful because its a real mountain and the ground is rough. We did a slightly different path which was beautiful but really windy. The mountain is just this giant lump right on the coast and there's no vegitation on it so the winds just whip off the water and pummel you the whole time you're climbing 500 m. At least it was a clear day and there was no chance of getting lost. The last 100 m especially was painfully windy and all up loose rocks. At the top is a chapel and a route with stations of the cross (7 our fathers, 7 hail marys, 2 creeds, walk around the chapel 7 times etc). Catholics are funny. On the way down I was trying to remember as much of the creed as I could. I wasn't doing so well (we believe in one god father almighty creator of heaven and earth....eternally begotten of the father god from god light from light...begotten and not made one in being with the father through him all good things come for us and for our salvation he came down from heaven and became man...) I got more of it than that. Parts of it our really beautiful and the cadance is clear in my head even when the words fail me.

Oh I almost forgot. We were going to walk back from the hike because it wasn't that far but the road got really windy and narrow so aron stuck out his thumb and we totally hitchhiked. A carpenter picked us up and drove us the couple miles and chatted with us about the election that day. We were so proud of ourselves. Of course when I told my parents, they were like "did we ever tell you about the time we hitched a ride on a freight train in germany...." They had to show me up. =)

Saturday night we were supposed to stay with one of the ultimate players we had met the weekend before but the plans fell through so we ended up just crashing in a hotel near the airport after I bought presents for my family and aron bought a really beautiful chess set for probably too much money. And we flew out sunday and played cards the whole plane ride back. It was a good trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home